"We exist to be a redeeming station to the lost, a grounding station to the unsettled, a medical station to the hurting, a refueling station to those serving, and a glory station to our God."
It is our desire to help others know Christ in a way that transforms their daily lives and the lives of those around them.
We first and foremost value the Almighty God; we seek to bring Him glory as we proclaim the truth of His Word. We then value people, who were made in the image of God, choosing to love them as Christ has loved us.
The doctrinal beliefs of Agnes Baptist Church are found in the Holy Bible. The following is a brief synopsis of what we believe. A more detailed doctrinal statement is available upon request.
We believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of God, and is the sole authority for life and faith.
We believe that there is one God who exists in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
We believe that Jesus is the Son of God, was born of a virgin, was wholly God and wholly man, lived a sinless and perfect life, died in our place as a sacrifice for the sins of mankind, was buried, arose bodily from the grave, and ascended into Heaven.
We believe that God the Holy Spirit is active in convincing unbelievers of their need for salvation, and is the Comforter and Guide Who lives in every believer.
We believe that man is a special creation of God, made in His image, but that through the sin of the first man, Adam, mankind fell so that all men are sinners and need salvation.
We believe that salvation is a gift received through repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
We believe that every person who is truly saved is eternally secure in the Lord Jesus Christ.
We believe that those persons who die in their sins without Christ spend eternity in Hell and those persons who die with their sins forgiven through Christ spend eternity in Heaven.
We believe that water baptism is an act of obedience to the command of Christ and is by immersion after salvation.
We believe that the church is a local body of baptized believers with the Lord Jesus Christ as the Head.
We believe that each believer has direct access to God through the Lord Jesus Christ.
We believe that Jesus Christ will come again to receive those who have trusted Him as Savior into Heaven. This event, referred to as the Rapture, will be followed by the seven-year Tribulation Period, at the end of which we will return with Christ to rule and reign for a thousand years, a period known as the Millennial Reign of Christ.
In 1952, the Elmo and Dorothy Lee family moved to the Agnes community. The Lee's were a people of faith, and they immediately began a search for a Baptist church to attend. There were not many options in the area, and the Baptist Church in Agnes was no longer meeting. The pastor of their former church in Ft. Worth suggested that they start a church. They contacted the seminary in Ft. Worth and found a student named Leonard T. Blackburn. He and his wife, Catherine, were more than willing to come to pastor the church without pay. On Tuesday, November 11, 1952, the Agnes Independent Baptist Church was formally organized with six charter members; Elmo and Dorothy Lee and their son Jack; and Rene Lynch and two daughters Neva and Nelda. They held their first official church service the following Sunday, November 16, 1952, in the abandoned Baptist Church building that sat atop a beautiful hill. They returned on Wednesday for a Bible study to find that the old church had been padlocked. The Lee's then opened up their home to hold church services until they could work out a rental agreement with the few remaining members of the original Baptist Church. They began renting the church building in March 1953 for $10.00 a month. It is recorded in church minutes that there were 76 people present in the last service held in the Lee's home. Pastor Blackburn started a building fund with a $50.00 donation on November 23, 1952, but then resigned after only three months. Rev. Comal Wallace was called as the new pastor. In July 1953 the church hosted a two-week revival that resulted in 19 souls being baptized in an old stock tank. The church was growing and needed a larger building that they could call their own. Barlow Elam generously donated a piece of land, and the people of the church began to build in the fall of 1953. Before long the members of Agnes Independent Baptist Church were worshipping in their own church building. The old Baptist Church building was moved to new a location just west of Agnes and was refurbished as a home. The former Methodist Church building was taken down and the lumber was used to build a barn on the Elam's farm.
It seems that people of Agnes Baptist Church have always been in some form of "building project." The original sanctuary was built in 1954, and it has gone through many renovations over the years. In 1975 they added a covered front porch entrance and painted the exterior of the church. They completed construction on a fellowship hall in 1981, and they replaced the church roof in 1984. In 1987 they added a sidewalk and covered porch between the main auditorium and the fellowship hall. In 2009, Joe and Gloria Elam graciously sold the church some land, and in 2010 the people of the church broke ground and built a new fellowship hall with Sunday School and office space. A mission team of nine men came from the Calvary Baptist Church in Connersville, IN to aid with the construction. In 2012 the people of the church enclosed the porch and remodeled the old fellowship hall to convert it into a youth building. In 2016, the people of the church began the process of building a new auditorium where the original auditorium once stood. The new auditorium will seat 300 souls, it contains a large foyer area, with additional classroom space. It is connected to the fellowship hall and youth building, to house everything under one roof. The most important part of the history of the church is the countless number of souls that have been saved and lives that have been changed! Our churches history is rich, and it is still being written!